A few weeks ago I got a message from my friend, Borden, that she and her husband wanted to have dinner with us in Orlando at a Turkish restaurant by their house. Nuri and I jumped at the chance to see these two, and I was really excited to try a new restaurant.
We decided to go down on a Friday, making it nearly impossible to concentrate the last hour or so at work. Luckily that last hour is our sales meeting only requiring me to remember my success story for the week.
Out of work, out of Gainesville, down to Orlando! Upon our arrival, Colin had a White Russian ready for Nuri just the way he likes it, light brown (more Kaluha than half and half).
Once at this restaurant called Steaks and Salads, Nuri ordered for us and we ate family style. We all had a taste of the shepard salad, stuffed grape leaves, Kofte, kebabs, Bulgur Pilavi, Eggplant Salad. It was all delicious, and I don't know about everyone else, but I ate way too much!
Borden with her kebab!
She was the only one willing to pose with her food. Everyone I had to force.
I had to have some Turkish coffee being a coffee drinker.
It was yummy, but in my opinion Nuri's grandmother makes it better and she reads the grinds. Maybe this place would've as well, if we asked. There was a woman who fit the profile of that old woman on the corner reading your cards, tea leaves, and probably turkish coffee grinds.
The evening concluded with us back at Borden and Colin's cute apartment in their hipster neighborhood, where Borden and I chatted and made guacamole and cookies while Colin and Nuri played Magic. Insert "women belong in the kitchen" jokes here. It was an all around good time until I started to fall asleep mid-sentence talking to Borden.
The next morning, Borden and I made a trip to Ikea (wow I love that place)! We got back and I was starving. Don't mess with a starving Melissa, I am grouchy!!!! We went to Burrito Kitchen, which everyone, except me, assumed would be a hole in the wall burrito place. Nope, it was below Moe's on the Burrito place scale. We immediately vacated the premises and headed to "Little Saigon" and had Vietnamese food. Borden and Colin do live a couple blocks from the Vietnamese area of Orlando. It was delicious, I got food and my grouchiness soon became a distant memory.
Unfortunately, our time in Orlando had to come to an end. We had to get home to the puppy. Poor Zelda, she misses us when we are gone. Plus, I had Ikea stuff to install and a visit from my Mom and Uncle Cleon to prepare for. I was glad to be home for another week, but we weren't here long before taking off to Jacksonville to visit some other friends!

No comments:
Post a Comment