First up, while it was still cool out we did the Cliff Walk. Now, for you beer drinkers I actually took this picture of the sign because it reminded me of my friend who brought Narrangansett over the other day. I informed him that it was indeed from Rhode Island.The Cliff Walk is a beautiful path along a cliff that overlooks the water. You are able to see some of the Newport mansions on your right and the "death by falling" on your left. One of the things different in Newport since the last time I went was the presence of wind turbines. I know a lot of people argue that they aren't pretty, but to me there is something very beautiful about them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a really good picture of them due to the fog and clouds.


The second thing on our list of firsts (which I believe was the only first for Danielle) was to visit St. Mary's. This is the church that JFK and Jackie were married. I can't believe that all times I have visited Newport before I never stopped by the church. We stopped, we took pictures, and they wouldn't let us in. They wouldn't let anybody in, and I was very disappointed.
The rest of the afternoon was spent shopping, eating, doing some more shopping. During our shopping I learned that Newport and the University of Florida campus has something in common. If you are walking, JUST CROSS. Cars have to stop and pedestrians can just keep on moving. As a pedestrian, I kept reminding myself about the other drivers, like me, who exist. The drivers who get annoyed by the pedestrians with no common sense or common courtesy. They just cross when and where they feel and take as much or little time as they please! So, by all means cross, but do try to not walk slowly and please find a crosswalk.
Then, finally we went for a drive down Ocean Drive. The scenery is beautiful and there are more mansions to see than just the ones along the Cliff Walk. I sent pictures of the scenery and told Nuri that in the background he can see our future home ;)
We did try to find Jackie's childhood home and thought we had hit the jackpot, but it turns out it was the wrong house. We had gone down the wrong part of the road. Meh, that's OK, it just an excuse to go back another time.
This was definitely a day for sightseeing and quality hang out time. As the day was winding down I was sad to realize my trip was coming to an end and the next day I was leaving. But, I wasn't going home just yet...next stop NYC.

No comments:
Post a Comment