Monday, August 13, 2012

In Her Honor

One year ago today I said goodbye to my grandmother - the most amazing woman I have ever known. She taught me many things in life, but the most important was unconditional love. To love without question, to love enough that even when you don't agree with the choices one makes you support them. You help the with their goals, you hold their hand, provide a shoulder, or do whatever it takes to  be there for that person, unconditionally. She was all that to me for 32 years.

The rest of this post is in her memory. This is me not being sad about missing this special lady, rather honoring her by sharing these memories of a house filled with love.

Anybody driving by the yellow cinderblock house with brown trim on the corner of Harris Street would think it was an average looking house with a Caprice Classic (the tank as us kids liked to refer to it) sitting under the carport. Go inside and it was the standard 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, but it was full of hidden treasures. I always said there were two living rooms, but technically one was a family room and one a living room but I never cared to know which was which. The parents would sit in one while the girls (Tracie, Stephanie and I) would play in the other. Keep in mind our other cousins (Matt and Lorene) lived far enough away we didn't see them often enough.

Under the couch was Candy Land which we would play for hours and hours and to this day I love watching Aubrey play it because it brings back so many fond memories. When I have children I will buy my mom Candy Land and require that it be kept under her couch!

Down the hall and in the closet was a big plastic bag that at first glance you would think was a trash bag. In this bag was the jackpot! Plastic dishes, perfect for 3 girls to play. I remember there was a footstool that you could plug in to heat up. We would try to sneak water into the "teapot" and heat it up on the footstool. This was a no-no as we weren't allowed to have food or drink in that room. But leave it to Stephanie to give it a try anyway :)

In the "other living room" my cousins and I would sit and watch Miracle on 34th Street (in black and white) on Thanksgiving day.

But the kitchen is where I wanted to be and was where you would most likely find my grandmother. The top cabinet to the right of the sink had all the good stuff, including "pink chocolate milk." It turns out it was strawberry Nesquick :) The microwave was multi-functional as it didn't just heat things up, but it doubled as a storage area for a pie of some kind, chances are it was a pecan pie.

The yard!!! The front yard had a tree perfect for climbing and another tree we called the paper tree, which was perfect for peeling bark and calling it paper.

The best part about this house was that it was my grandmother's home. It has some of the fondest memories filled with love and laughter. It is where my cousin, Tracie, became my best friend. It is where I learned what family really means. My grandmother's life is not defined by her house, but her life could be defined by the fact that in that house was an incredible amount of love. You can see her love in the children she raised, the grandchildren and great grandchildren she adored, this unbelievable quality to make anyone feel like they were home and part of her family when in her presence.

My grandmother, Anice C. Bearor, may have left this world and joined her one true love, but I can feel her every single day. She is part of me and I believe that as long as I never forget the lessons of love, acceptance, and generosity she taught me through her own actions she will always be with me. She is the kind of woman I strive to be, but in my own way (exactly as she would want it).


Surrounded by her grandkids! I am glad we were all there together!


All her great grandkids!

I am very lucky because not only was my Grandmother so incredible, but I am surrounded by amazing women. My mom for one, but also my cousin and many of my friends who continue to amaze me with their strength. My grandmother was of a different generation, but I am truly a better person for having all these wonderful, strong, loving, and kind women in my life. 

1 comment: