Do you remember the first time you rode a bike? The first time you kissed somebody? How about the first time you tried what is now your favorite food? When did you post your first blog?
These moments come and we have every intention of remembering them, but we seem to forget them all too soon. We don't take a picture or we don't make a mental note of these memories. We see them as unimportant and move on.
But, last year my friend made her New Year's Resolution and it was to try something new every month. (Yes, I know, this has nothing to do with memory, but EVERYTHING to do with that list of firsts.) She succeeded and it was such fun she is doing it again, but this time bigger and better. I am excited that she has joined me on this blogging "thing" and you can read all about her adventures in 2011 at Lifeforthefirsttime.blogspot.com.
On Sunday I got to be a part of one of her firsts. We went and had oysters! I love them and have for many years. We got a half dozen of steamed oysters. She didn't want to try them raw and we didn't want to get too many in case I was left eating them all!
First taste of oysters on a saltine with some hot sauce. Maybe a bit too much hot sauce on that first bite.
It was great fun as our date nights usually are. I can always count on the fact that when we get together we are having a serious conversation one moment, laughing so hard my cheeks hurt the following day the next minute, and of course enjoying plenty of randomness and honesty mixed in with good drinks and good food.
The rest of our meal was delicious. However, before heading home we had to stop and get her some medicine as she was feeling congested. It is possible this may have been an allergic reaction to the oysters.
I made a point to take pictures to capture the moment. My ultimate resolution this year is to enjoy these moments that I share with those I care about and to make memories that will last a lifetime.
Thank you, my friend, for the good time and allowing me to be a part of your first oyster tasting experience. What is next?
I made it home in time to pass out before going back to work on Monday.
Stay tuned for my Monday adventures next...
Um, I don't remember yesterday, LOL, so no..I don't remember my first bike ride, LOL. I love this post though, makes me want to just absorb everything my kids do!
ReplyDelete